Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 6, 2012

Window of my Childhood Memories

My little nephew Yves Miguel with cousins Josh Caleb and Helen Gaile.



He got the roundest eyes. 
When I look at those two round marbles it was like looking directly at my brother's eyes. It gives me a strange nostalgic feeling of being transported back to my childhood years. 
Fragments of memories keep flashing in my mind. 
The house near the railway, watching television outside the window of our neighbor, swimming in the river, collecting shells at the shore, climbing trees 
- these memories bring aching nostalgic feeling and I don't know why. 
It was so different then. 
We were dirt poor. Our house near the railway had no comfort room, no electricity and water supply. 
Oftentimes, we eat with no viand. We instead mix our rice with oil and salt.
It was an extremely simple life but I remember it well - we were happy. 
Those moments when we know nothing of difficulties, our thoughts uncorrupted with secular knowledge, where my parents can do everything for us - everything was perfect. 
It was childhood. 
It was the only moment where our smiles reflect true and pure happiness. I truly miss those years. 
I only have bits of scattered memories. 
Inevitably, along with maturity comes experiences of pain, thoughts corrupted and polluted by worldly knowledge - these things scar our smiles. 
I can only wish to smile that way again - the smile of innocence
- the smile of genuine happiness.

2 comments:

  1. like always... nice nice dyapon kwen... remember ko man sang una namon gani... "mixing rice with oil and salt"... maka relate gid ya mayo.

    i post ko ni sa wall ko.

    ReplyDelete